"So what of all of this white noise?" you might ask. And when you do, and will, I'll be ready with some sort of reply. Right now I'm not sure. What we have is this: a short, yet to be developed, extended metaphor (analogy sometimes) with oceans, waves, rain, rocks and you. And, at this point, there's not too too much meaning. Which is to say, that things are rather difficult to follow (even for me, and that's saying something.
So what about this white noise? Well, in the ocean analogy (metaphor) the ocean gets to be the delusive aspect of a social network anyone of us (me or you or someone else) are in that obfuscates the direction and tenor of our lives (plus what matters in our lives etc.) And I've been talking about the things that can let us get out of our limiting social circles and remain at the surface of our lives where we see what things matter. I hope that we can do this, you and I. And if we can't, surely things can't be too bad because the ocean gets to dictate what's good, right now, eventhough I have a hint (I'll give it to you) that what is good from underneath the ocean is not so good at the surface.
Plainly: what we think is good from the inside of our social network of friends and family and others is not neccesarily THE good. No, there are other goods beyond our limited experience from the perspective of our social network. And so, we need to swim up, now and then, and check things out on our own (we could do it together I guess, but that takes some kind of sychronized swimming and really hard to do, I think) so that we know what matters. We'll forget when we sink back into our social groups and get tied up in selfishness yet again. But we can't forget a glimpse of the sun, or a rock that we need to find again in our oceans of meaningless conversation with friends and family and others.
But I haven't gotten to the white noise yet. I think this is the noise of the social network (the ocean if you're following) that lulls us into a sleep and keeps us trapped in our social lives. Can you hear things through the social network? It's pretty tough thing to do, like keeping track of my metaphors and analogies.
No comments:
Post a Comment